Re: Rodinal and reversal film dev

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 22:23:23 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, Mike Robinson and Janine Kissner wrote:

> Remember, the original negs I'm using are 5 X 7 developed in ABC Pyro. At
> 2X magnification my results are virtually grainless. Rodinal is a "high
> acutance" developer with very little silver solvent (used to smooth out the
> appearance of grain). I'm sure that if you are making enlargements from
> smaller format negatives, ie. 35 mm tri-x. using Rodinol would really show
> the grain structure! I empathise with your situation. On the other hand,
> I imagine that gum prints would work quite well with a grainy negative?
> (White limo notwithstanding)
>
> Have you tried D23? The high sulfite content and low contrast character of
> this developer could perhaps help. If you have, what can you tell me about
> those results.
>
> Mike Robinson

eople that really liked the characteristics of Rodinal but wanted finer
grain (and half the development time) would use the Rodinal dilute (1:85)
but mixed in a 5% solution of sodium sulfite. Wonderfully fine grain,
with compensating developer characxteristics which kept the highlights
from burning up.>

This was my favorite with Tri-X and Plus-X for many years.

John