Re: The alt-photo-process member's book...

Steve Avery (stevea@sedal.usyd.edu.AU)
Mon, 08 Jul 1996 12:31:20 +1000

Pascal MIELE wrote:

> Please the ref of "Maximum Monochrome"
> "Darkroom User"
> "Alternative Process" journal
> "Photo Techniques"
> "PhotoWork"
> it's not in the FAQ.

Sorry,
Here is the information I have at hand. The descriptive comment is mine
(and may or may not be in error).

Maximum Monochrome is a newsletter produced by Maxim Muir
(mailto:MDMUIR@NFINITY.COM). It is concerned mostly with B&W photography
(from the chemistry/darkroom end, not how to take B&W photos). Contact
Maxim for more information. There haven't been any alternative process
articles yet (to my knowledge), but I know Maxim would be happy to print
some.

Darkroom User is a magazine produced by Ed Buziak out of the UK
(mailto:100410.1561@CompuServe.COM). It is very slick, printed as a real
magazine, with colour pics, etc. Comes out six times a year, and is
concerned (strangely enough), with darkroom practices and processes.
There is the occassional alternative process article in there (like the
latest issue which has an article on kallitypes). Contributors are
mostly British, but also include the likes of Ctein (who isn't British
:-))

The alternative process journal comes out of the UK, and has been
mentioned in previous list mailings. I don't have details at hand
(someone else will hopefully chime in).

Photo Techniques is the new name for a magazine out of the US (forget
the old name). It runs alternative process articles from time to time.
Details have been posted to the list previously (sorry, don't have them
at hand either).

PhotoWork is the new reincarnation of Camera and Darkroom. It has as
editor Thom Harrop (mailto:tharrop@cyberport.net). It will have some of
the previous C&D contributors (like Steve Anchell, A. D. Coleman).
Previously they have had the odd article on alternative processes, and I
doubt this would change greatly. At present, it is slated to start
production in October/November (if memory serves).

There are probably others, but these are the main ones I know about and
which are accessible to members of the list.

cheers
-steve