Re: Safe Gloss Medium To Use In Alt Processes

LESMD@aol.com
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 20:01:56 -0400

On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Stephen P Salniker wrote:

> I have been making palladium and salted paper prints for several months
> now, but find the dried prints dull. I've experimented with coating the
> finished prints with a Knox gelatine solution, then drying with a
> hairdryer, which works well to add a semi-matte finish and add a bit of
> sparkle as well as deepen the blacks. But I worry that this isn't
> archival, and that I'll be nourishing many generations of silverfish when

I don't know about Platinum but I have recently started coating finished gum
prints with acrylic glossy varnish. I have tried various dilutions but find
the effect is best with the stronger dilutions. Clearly the paper you use has
a significant effect on the degree of gloss.

BTW, when you put the varnish on it has a white opaque appearance which
initially worried me but the varnish does dry to a clear finish so don't
worry.

Larry Shapiro