Re: Polaroid Xfers/manipulation

Karen Molloy (Karen_Molloy.PILOT@pilotsw.com)
17 Jul 96 10:54:28 EDT

Lori J. Cartmell wrote:

>I've read the FAQ for this list and noted the section on Polaroid image
>transfers--I'm interested in learning more about this technique, as well as
>about Polaroid SX-70 manipulations, which didn't seem to be covered in the FAQ.

I just got into working with Polaroid transfers myself. As others have noted,
the Polaroid Web page has detailed instructions. Also, I recently called their
800 number and got a very nice booklet from them on image and emulsion
transfers.

You don't have to have a Polaroid camera to do the image transfer -- if you
have slides, you can make the transfers by using a slide printer with Polaroid
669 film -- which is what I do.

If you find a way to extract info on Polaroid transfers from the archives by
keyword, please post the info. I'm rather daunted by the prospect of getting
massive archives to hunt through.

If you have access to Usenet newsgroups, the group rec.photo.technique recently
had an informative thread on making Polaroid transfers.

George L Smyth wrote:

>My suggestion that is not in the pamphlet is to place
>the pressed-together pieces in warm water for a minute, then separate
>them in the warm water. This will help with the problem of the darker
>areas pulling away when the two are separated.

Thanks for this suggestion. I'll try it -- indeed I have been having this
problem, randomly.

Someone on the aforementioned Usenet newsgroup recently mentioned submerging
the sheet with the fresh transfer in a bath of vinager and water for a minute
to clarify the colors.

Has anyone tried making these Polaroid transfers on fabric? (I probably will
try to do so soon.)

Karen Molloy

kmolloy@pilotsw.com