Searching the archives (was Re: Tissue for Carbon Print)

Steve Avery (stevea@sedal.usyd.edu.AU)
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 11:36:33 +1000

FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> Is there any index to the archive? Or do I have to basically download
> ALL archive and find the information I need?

Folks,
I'm sorry but at the moment, the only way to find something in the
archive is to download the lot and search for it manually.

Plans were afoot to have the archives available and searchable via a
web page, but unfortunately my employer is being very inconsiderate and
expects me to work for my pay. This has led to the project being put on
hold for the time being.

Please keep in mind that the archives are rather large, and don't try
to download them all at once. Make it one at a time, only getting the
next when all the parts of the last one are received.

To get a file from the archives, send the message:

get alt-photo-process archive-9403

to listproc@cse.unsw.edu.au (NOTE THE ADDRESS!!!). The last four digits
represent the date of the archive, being year and month respectively.
Note the months are zero padded as necessary. The first archive
available is March 1994 (when the list started), and all but the current
month are available at any time.

The archives are split up into pieces to ensure that fit through the
mail system. Some of the latest archives are well over ten messages long
(some up to sixteen), and each of these is 64k. Keep this in mind when
determining if you have enough disk space to accomodate the files you'll
be receiving.

Also keep in mind that any files you retrieve and don't make it end up
in not only my mail box, but also that of the sysadmin at this site, and
most probably the sysadmin for your ISP. This tends to tick people off
if there are a lot of them (some mail readers have difficulty digesting
such a large amount of mail).

cheers
-steve