Re: Pigment types (and order)

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 00:22:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Luis Nadeau wrote:
> It has been quite a while since I used those commercial pigments, but I
> seem to recall that both W&N and Rowney provided the chemical names for
> them --or at the very least the trade names. My book on gum may have them.

No longer. To get the pigment name from either of those companies requires
great perserverence and/or inside track. Some paints do have the pigment
in the name, but most don't & there's a tendency to change formulations &
do things like "terra verte shade," which is a mix of whatever. The
manufacturers also feel free to change the names and/or the pigments.

However I'm getting good results so far with Daniel Smith tube
watercolors & gouache, somewhat cheaper than those 2 brands, listed by
pigment name.

And speaking of color -- Peter Fredrick recommends Golden Quinacridone
Red, Liquitex in general, & Mars black.

In the US, as far as I know, Mars black is available only in acrylic or
dry pigment. Also in the US, as far as I know, Liquitex markets only
acrylic paint (some years ago it had a line of watercolors). Golden sells
acrylic and (I believe) oil paints, but not watercolors.

As for gum printing with acrylics, I found that although Golden
Quinacridone acrylic did clear, it didn't want to -- or not automatically
-- having to be brushed, at least in the few tries I made.

Meanwhile, thanks for the reminder that Hansa yellow is a good transparent
yellow for tricolor. It is, however, slightly less archival than cadmium
(tho less evil environmentally?).

And about color order -- tho perhaps I begin to stretch the envelope of
attention span: My old dye transfer notes show that we did magenta, cyan,
yellow. The Kodak dye transfer book (1980) said cyan magenta yellow. My
tricolor notes for gum printing say begin with yellow. And in fact Bernie
now reveals that "when possible" he begins with yellow.

OK?

And a final bonus for anybody still with us, these words from Southworth
"Color Separation Techniques" (1979) -- tho he refers to commercial presses:

"...On single-color presses, a printing order that allows the most
flexibility for adjustment with the 3rd process color is desired. The
most popular order for single-color presses is cyan, yellow, magenta, and
black. When magenta is printed 3rd in squence, the pressman has quite a
bit of latitude to adjust for a pleasing visual effect.... On 4-color
presses, the printing order is not as well established. Every shop will
change the printing order depending on the critical colors of each job....

And speaking of "every shop," who said today he couldn't print Rowney
Burnt sienna? I tested 6 burnt siennas & Rowney was definitely the best.

OK?

Judy