Re: Dichromate/ size/tricolor/pigment

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 21:55:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 Jul 1996, Peter Charles Fredrick wrote:
>... a very good book which I use as
> a bible
> When colour mixing is" The Wilcox Guide to to the finest watercolour
> paints"this book is published by Artways, P.O. Box 350, Cloverdale, Perth,
> Western Australia.Very good information resource.

That and another Wilcox book, about a "new" way to mix colors, are listed
in the Daniel Smith catalog ($26 each as I recall) . Bernie being a
westerner must know the place. (And I am *not* on the DS payroll.)

And speaking of paint: "FotoDave" mentions some pitfalls of cheaper
student colors. Another is that they generally have less pigment. That is
cheaper fillers (aluminum hydrate as I recall) are used to bulk up the
tube, so the covering power is less. To get a given amount of color you'd
have to use more paint, and thus lose some/much/all of the economy.

Perhaps this isn't such an issue now with synthetic pigments as it used
to be -- but perhaps it is.

Judy