Re: Dichromate/ size/tricolor/pigment

Albert Strauss (a.strauss@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 28 Jul 1996 22:56:41 +0000

At 02:22 PM 7/28/96 +0000, Larry Shapiro wrote:
>Al,
>Sorry for the delay in replying to your questions regarding my tests of
>varoius gum solutions. All the prints were made on Arches 140 pound cold
>press water color paper which had been sized twice in a bath of Knox gelatin
>(4 packages per liter of distilled water) and hardened in formaldehyde (25cc
>/liter) The sensitizer was a 30% solution of ammonium dichromate. The
>pigment/gum solutions were prepared as stated previously and equal mounts of
>sensitizer and gum pigment solutions were mixed together. The emulsionwas
>applied to the paper with a foam brush and smoothed with an Elephant paint
>brush.
>
>I just obtained another type of gum solution (from Photographer's Formulary)
>and plan to repeat the test. I think I will also change the type of paper to
>see if this changes the "rankings" .

Thanx so much for your thorough reply. I (and I'm sure I'm not alone) constantly
go crazy when I try to duplicate someone else's work and get different results.
I am fairly new to gum and have learned recently that brand of gum, pigment, or
one of many small things can make a tremendous difference. I am interested in
hearing of your results with PF gum, since this my "standard".

Peace
Al