RE: Homemade Pigment Tissue?

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Mon, 29 Jul 96 18:01 BST-1

>I got various papers from the Hungarian photographic material factory (Forte)
>a few meters from the end of rolls (remainder) which was not useful of them.

>So a part of these the papers without any coating but (a bit too) well
>sized, because in a few cases the "developing" is too slow. (The paper
>isolating the backside of the pigment tissue from water.) However,
>it's working.

You do not need a paper like this for making the pigment tissue - you need a
porous paper with good wet strength. Plain paper used for lining walls (that
DIY* store I mentioned again) fits the bill pretty well perfectly and has the
added advantage of being very cheap. (*Do It Yourself or whatever shop you buy
wallpaper from!) Don't do anything like sizing it - you will just stop it
working so well. I just soaked it for a few minutes than squeegeed it flat onto
a levelled glass surface.

>The most vicious thing: all processes of pigment need a sized paper-base,
>except developing. The printing house used pigment papers had a solvent
>soluble (water proof) layer on the backside of paper (true ResinCoated :-)
>which was removable before water-developing. Good old times. >>

Water soaks rapidly through the back of the lining paper to the gelatine and
dissolves this - a process aided by the sugar used in most pigment paper
recipes. The paper rapidly floats off and can then be thrown away. I would have
thought that any resin coating would simply have made the process more difficult
if not impossible.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows, Dragonfire and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/cgi-uva/cgiwrap/~ds8s/Niepce/peter-m.cgi
Family Pictures & Gay Pride: http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/