grape sugar

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 21:29:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996 erobkin@uwcmail.uwc.edu wrote:
> Plaster of paris mixed with a large excess of water will give you a very fine
> white powder in paste form that will not become hard. Some of that in with
> your size might give you the tooth you are seeking without any appreciable
> hazards and without dissolving in the size mix. Just keep it stirred up
> until the plaster reaction is complete. Around 15 minutes should be plenty
> of time.

Sounds like a good idea -- less likely to float out the window than the
Celite. But you remind me that I have somewhere a concoction made for
a medieval gesso (I forget the name of) that you began like that then
stirred and let rot for months and finally mixed with rabbitskin glue to
make Fra Angelicos. That might be just the thing. The thick gelatine
undercoat, BTW, as noted previously, is because the color quality is
different & potentially very luminous. (Assuming that's OK with Terry).

Guess this should be separate post, lest we confuse the Web page, but I'll
try here anyway. Am looking at some old formulas call for "grape sugar."
Do I have to kill my own grapes or.......? Any suggestions?

Judy