Re: Pigment types (and order)

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 01:49:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996 Bernard104@aol.com wrote:
> am not sure what you mean about a heavy gelatine sizing staining more? Is
> this apposed to a light gelatine size? Anyway my experience has been that it
> is the quality (lightness) of the gum and the length of exposure that
> determine the brown "tanning" stain rather than the paper sizing.

Yes, when I tested a given emulsion on a given paper, with the paper au
naturel, with a light gelatine size, and with heavy gelatine size, the
dichromate stain *in the gelatine* increased with thickness of gelatine
coating.

As for lightness of the gum -- my RBP gum is darker than my old gum-14,
but it generally stains less... all other things being equal, which of
course they so rarely are....

Judy