Re: Building Pinhole Cameras

George L Smyth (GLSmyth@ari.net)
Fri, 02 Aug 1996 12:02:40 -0400

Macy Garcia wrote:

> I'm sure this has been discussed to some extent in the archives, but I'm
> interested in building a pinhole camera.

Macy -

A pinhole camera can be made out of anything your imagination can come
up with. What you need is a light-tight container with a pinhole at one
end, and the film at the other. That's it!

The last camera I made was from a large coffee can, where the film finds
its way around the inside opposite the hole. I sprayed the inside with
black matt paint, to absorb the stray light. When I put the top on the
can, first I lay a piece of plastic that comes with photographic paper.
This makes for a nice light-tight seal. When I get my scanner, I'll
place some of the images on my Web page.

The only other thing you need is to make the pinhole. I have a listing
of suggested pinhole sizes for many focal lengths on my Web page, so you
can access that information also. Please let me know if you need help
making or sizing the pinhole.

Cheers -

george

--