Re: Pigment types (and order)

Peter Charles Fredrick (pete@fotem.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 20:40:58 +0000

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Judy Seigel wrote:

>Peter I don't understand the notation above. How is PY1 Arylide Yellow G
different from the Arylide Yellow 10g ASTM index PYS you give below as
"Hansa yellow light." ? <

Yes it does seem a bit confusing doesn't it, the whole notation of colour
is a right dogs dinner so to speak. but I think Michael Wilcox is making a
serious attempt to bring some rational into colour mixing. I met him in
Perth when I was down under taking part in symposiums on alt photo.He was
a Fine Art lecturer before taking up his present career as a colourist,
all his books are self published, therefore he is economically independent.
and free from commercial constraints.

In his book the colours are broken up into two sections. the first part is
a description of the generic pigment and the second the information that he
has received from the manufactures.He provides the ASTM information in
great detail, if there is an ASTM specification he gives it.For instance
Rowney Permanent Yellow no 664 is given a generac name of :-PY1 ARYLIDE
YELLOW G (p 29) there are a number of
ARYLIDE YELLOW 'S there is G [no good] 10g[good] 13g [dodgy] after careful
study Aureolin seems to come best according to Wilcox, but I am willing to
accept your skepticism it could be, how do you say it a load of flapdoodal
:-)
If you can get hold of a copy it might be worth while for you to peruse it
first hand so to speak.

> If we cannot trust those ratings --
within a reasonable range, of course -- then we are indeed at sea.<

If it is who do you trust Wilcox or Rowney? Personally it would have to
be Wilcox, he has more to lose if he is wrong .

> That is all I have got at the moment, but I am still searching for the
> perfect transparent yellow pigment , anybody out there got anymore
> information ?

>I have a brochure from an American company, Gamblin, which as I recall
lists another new synthetic yellow. I think I can locate this brochure.
More tomorrow ....<

If you could please pass on this information I would be most obliged I am
still striving to do better.

pete