Re: Homemade Pigment Tissue?

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 19:12:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Terry King wrote:

> The paper is used to cover walls that may have imperfections in the plaster so
> that they present a smooth appearance when painted. It is also used as an under
> liner when expensive hand blocked printed wall paper is being used. It is sold
> in all the decorating stores round here as most of the development was at the
> time your brown-stones (?) were put up and the plaster is often not in a state
> of pristine newness..

The word is spelled "brownstones." Though that's a misnomer, it's come
into usage because "townhouse," which would be correct, suggests too much
grandeur, and "row house," which is also correct, sounds too plebeian.
Only a certain period, about the 1870s used brownstone, which came from an
upstate quarry owned by the crony of city hall politicos and even at the
time was known to be inferior -- crumbled on sight.

As for lining wall paper ....!!!! Old-house Americans tend to strip walls
to the original brick (so-called "common brick," dark red, and *very*
uneven as it was never meant to be seen, but much beloved, by me too, I
confess) and you save on wall liner, wall paper, and paint forevermore.
Even on washing -- it looks good no matter what...

(I guess this is off topic but couldn't resist the style-trend note. Sorry.)

Judy