Re: Building Pinhole Cameras

David Morrish (dmorrish@beothuk.swgc.mun.ca)
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 09:10:11 -0230 (NDT)

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996 tomf2468@pipeline.com wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 2, 1996 4:17:41 PM, Macy Garcia wrote:
>
> >SNIP<
> >interested in building a pinhole camera. The last time I did this was in
> >in Junior High school out of an oat meal box. I would appreciate any
> >suggestions <SNIP>
>
> Assuming you have a large format camera, consider doing what I did. Make
>SNIP<
> change. Also try making an F16 "viewing" pinhole, this will allow a lot
> more flexability in aiming you camera and composing your image (it ios
> dark, but better than nothing). Also, you'll have the ability to use
> normal film holders. One of the biggest problems with the "oat meal" crowd
> is that their "camera" can't be reloaded without a darkroom. Good luck,
>SNIP<

IMHO the pinhole has an aesthetic which disappears once in the realm of a
converted "real" camera. The use of a curved camera body (oatmeal can,
Coke can, or box with curved film plane inside..) gives the wide
panoramic view so attractive and typical to pinhole shots. As for
changing film/paper, this is easily solved with a film-changing bag big
enough for 8x10 film holders. I built 4 x 8 and 8 x 10 pinhole cameras
and changed film in the field using the bag. I marked two film boxes
(with some sort of easy 3-D "tag") for unexposed and for exposed film and
shot in the field all day. After keeping copius notes on exposure it was
easy enough to trust your exposures without having to run to the darkroom
after each shot.

To keep this appropriate to alt.photo, I should mention that a colleague
uses her 4x5 pinholes to make great photogravures (enlarged to over 11 x
13) and the curvature of the film plane is one feature which makes them
stand out. It is also an easy way to produce large negatives suitable for
any alt.photo.process.... isn't it?

Dave Morrish
Newfoundland, Canada