Photoceramic book review

Luis Nadeau (awef6t@mis.ca)
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 21:58:55 -0300

"Oliver Stecher" <oliver.stecher@stud.uni-bamberg.de> writes:

>Hello there,
>I have a question about photo ceramics. Does it work (basically) with
>platinium printing? Or with pergament printing?
>Thanks in advance for your answers :)
>
>Ciao Oliver

I'll bet some people thought, from the subject line, that this message was
going to be about my own long awaited (upcoming) photoceramic book, but it
isn't. Mine may be out by the end of this year, but this is about somebody
else's book.

I noticed that Oliver's address, in the message above, is from Germany and
is so happens that I just received a review copy of a neat little
publication from that country:

Alfred Korzeniowski: _Die technischen Grundlagen der Photokeramik (Email-
und Porzellanphotographie)_, H. Lindemanns Verlag, Stuttgart. (1996) ISBN:
3-89506-154-9. There is no indication of the price. H. Lindemanns Verlag
can be reached at Nadlerstrasse 10, 70026 Stuttgart, Germany. They have no
email address. BTW, this is the same publisher that has published two
German editions of my books, translated by none other than Klaus Pollmeier,
whose name we see regularly on this list.

It's only 11 pp., 18x12 cm, printed on one side only, with a decent quality
dot matrix printer and staple bound. No illustrations, footnotes nor
bibliography. It has all the signs of a home-made production but this does
not take away anything from its value.

After a brief mention of the chemical substitution process, he reviews the
dusting-on technique with a classic Obernetter formula. Then he moves on to
the carbon transfer process with a formula from Tranchant's work. This is a
good though brief overview of the ceramic processes.

I have known Korzeniowski for several years and I am always happy to show
my students and visitors a beautiful tea cup he sent me with a portrait of
his wife burnt-in at high temperature in a warm sepia color. This was
produced with the carbon transfer process and will be reproduced in my own
book. Korzeniowski obviously knows what he is doing. For those interested
in the photoceramic process and who can read German, this is a booklet to
have.

Luis Nadeau
awef6t@mis.ca
nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca