Re: Urformen der Kunst

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 23:58:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Henk Thijs wrote:

> Stanley wrote about the Marlborough show concerning the Blossfelt images :' By
> the way, the book is called "Urformen der Kunst" or forms in nature.

> ... if the phrase 'forms in nature' should be
> a translation of "Urformen der Kunst" , I think for most people it is a bit
> confusing. Both are not my mother tongue but "Urform" is more then 'form' and
> "Kunst" means 'art'.

"Urform," according to Cassell's "New German Dictionary," means, among
other things, "archetypes," which is exactly the sense of the title:
Archetypes of Art. Blossfeldt in particular, and photographers of the
genre in general, meant their plant forms exactly that way, as archetypes
of art.(And the prefix "ur" has exactly the same meaning it has in
English, n'est-ce pas?)

But hey guys, how come nobody corrected the spelling of "Blossfeldt"?

Cheers,

Judy