Copy of: Re: Gravure & Sulphur Polution

Terry King (101522.2625@CompuServe.COM)
18 Aug 96 10:18:37 EDT

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From: Terry King, 101522,2625
TO: Bas van Velzen, INTERNET:eland@knoware.nl
DATE: 18/08/96 08:04

RE: Copy of: Re: Gravure & Sulphur Polution

Bas

You said:

> if I remember correctly this blue staining of the copper can be
> caused by ammonia in the air. Was the workshop near the countryside? Dung
> is a fine producer of ammonia (resulting in acid rain).

Kentish Town, where the workshop took place, is an inner London suburb.

The idea of North London peasants standing around the midden in their smocks
appeals to my imagination; but it is only my fantasy.

There were bottles of ammonia present but why should the plates nearest the air
inlet, from outside, been the ones to turn blue.
As the blue was that of copper sulphate crystals was not the sulphur in the
atmosphere a more likely explanation ? or am I being simplistic ?

Terry King