Re: 4 gums

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 17:34:43 -0400

At 12:30 AM 960819 +1000, Dick Sullivan wrote:

>through a charcoal filter. I was wondering if the same would work for the
>gum. I could make up a 50 gallon tank at say 20 Baume and remove all
>reactants and clean it up with charcoal so it's nice and white. The user
>could then dilute with water to the desired Baume using a chart or nomagraph.

This is, of course, obvious - but if you're going to make a large quantity
and store it, you will need to add a preservative as gum is a wonderful
culture medium! You could, of course, pasteurize it and seal it in
single-use containers (like the new preservative-free eye drops) which would
not require addition of anything. Just a thought, open for discussion.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net