Re: Dichromate stain/image

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:33:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Terry King wrote:
> >. From perfume
> >atomizer to empty "Fantastic" container, the drops all seem equally large.
> >(OK for some purposes, not others.)
>
> What's Fantastic ?

A liquid household cleanser delivered by spray bottle, similar solutions
are sold as "409," etc., in US, presumably equivalent (Tween 20?) in UK
as well.

> >My thought was that perhaps for $80 you might actually get a mist, though
> >that was to be further explored, and I realize could hardly be taken for
> granted. However, since the name of the object was "Dahlia Mister," I
> >considered that a hopeful sign.

> I am sure that it is but I still do not understand what it is for.

Terry, I think I shall not tell you what it is for -- because I don't want
to get into an argument, with you telling me how much better I could do it
some other way, or rather your way. Let me simply state, publically, that
for what I consider good and sufficient reasons (however wrong-headed), I
desire mist capability (as apparently do some other people smart enough to
acquire $80 to buy a device for the purpose). It has, however, nothing to
do with paper tape, and cannot be achieved with a hake brush. (So, as we
used to say in highschool, eat your heart out.)

But while such issues flit by, how about a political correction for the
term "nannying" being bandied about on this list of late? What about,
maybe, "Hectoring"?

> Which brings us to alternative uses of domestic products for alternative
> processes. We know that Diet Coke is an effective spermicide, there has been a
> useful thread on this point, but now I find that it as effective and cheaper
> than proprietary sink cleaners for bringing back that brand new glow to
> stainless steel sinks where the water is hard, but has anyone tested its
> effectiveness as a developer for pl/pd prints ?

Someone (among others perhaps) has published in Photo Techniques magazine
an article about Vitamin C for developing silver materials; now it seems
Kodak is going to market a developer based on ascorbic acid -- for
environmental reasons.

In States you can use "20-mule Team Borax" for Borax and "Arm and
Hammer Washing Soda", also swimming pool "sweetener," for sodium carbonate.

Cheers,

Judy