Re: paper

rdalrymple (dalrymple@hidesert.com)
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 08:29:35 -0700

Bas van Velzen wrote:

> Judy wrote:
>
> But now that you bring the subject up, I think the list would be very
> interested next in learning some of the plusses and minuses of the 3
> different types of paper. (Anyway, I would.)
>
> On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Bas van Velzen wrote:
> > mono-layer: tear the paper cross grain- no layers will become visible
> > multi-layer couched:tear in same way- layers will be visible (up to three)
> > multi-layer glued: burn corner of paper- layers will be visible (as ash)
> > and will have separated, fanned out -couched papers will not show separated
> > layers after burning-
>
> As you will remember I always had hesitations with multi-layered
> objects. Especially when they are supposedly single property items (such as
> CD's, photos etc.) The fact that they have more than one layer means that
> the layers interact with each other. This goes for paper too! Here I am
> talking about machine made paper, handmade paper has all the described
> properties but not so prominent and often hardly distinguishable.
> Couched paper is most times made pressing the felt sides* of two
> paper rolls of two paper machines together when the paper is just made (the
> water content of the paper will be between 10 and 8%) in this way the paper
> fibers can still intertwine a little and establish a bond. This is done to
> give the paper the same (printing) characteristics on both sides. On
> wetting such sheets in a water bath air bubbles can form between the two
> layers. The bond between the layers is not so strong as to prevent this.
> When two different papers are couched together the paper will have more
> problems since the layers will act differently on wetting. The paper will
> be fairly easy to flatten after wetting.
> Glued papers are more stiff than couched papers and since this bond
> is most times stronger air bubbles will not easily form on wetting. Glued
> papers will have more problems in lying flat when dry because the glues
> contain water. The paper rolls being glued together will swell on one side
> and develop stresses on drying. The papermaker will try to avoid these
> stresses by carefully conditioning the paper before and after glueing.
> Glued papers can also be made using sheets. These will have the machine
> directions changed with each layer thus more or less eliminating stresses.
> Wetting glued papers in a water bath will release the stresses in the
> paper, it will be very difficult to flatten the paper afterwards.
> In general mono layer papers are the most easy to control, although
> the two sides are slightly different the overall stresses are lesser in
> these papers. The heavier the paper can be made in one layer the less these
> differences will be noticeable. A heavy paper will be about 180 grs/m2.
> Above this weight it will soon be called carton and above about 400 grs
> board. Cartons and board will almost always have more than one layer.
> Handmade papers, when well made, will have less stresses, less
> [...]

As a beginner on this listserve, I have some beginner's questions.
Would anyone besides myself be interested in starting a thread about
negatives for cyanotype and gum prints? I would like to know which is
best, more common or favored-multiple negatives, continuous tone, high
contrast, low contrast? Do any of you use negatives and positives (for
the same final print) for your printing? I would appreciate any comments
on this subject. Also, what types of film and developers are favored
for the final negatives and are slides or negatives (black and white or
color) most often used by most of you?

Looking forward to your comments,

Marilyn

(As a beginner on this listserve I have not had any luck just sending a
message. I seem to have to "reply" and tag my messages on to others
that are not always written about the subject I want to discuss. Excuse
my interuptions--I am trying to learn how to do this properly.