Re: Experiences and questions about Cyanotyping

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 14:12:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996 SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU wrote:
> Coated cyanotype paper does not store very well at all. It goes bad
> overnight. Mix the sensitizer and coat just before use.

Not necessarily -- depending on the *paper* and storage conditions,
including the ambient temperature & humidity, coated paper can easily
keep a couple of days, and as much as 5 or 6 weeks. I haven't tested the
pH of papers, but I suspect that's a factor. The only way I know is to
try it. Best storage would be in a dry box (calcium chloride), but under
weight is good (keeps out the air).

Also, my suggestion would be that you need a benchmark for cyanotype --
starting right out with the cockamamie filter paper is kind of a barrier
to doping out the process, however esthetic the result is/will be. Why
not make a couple of test or work prints on a good rag-content typing
paper, or a neutral pH rag drawing paper to get the range and some kind
of criterion.....

Judy