Re: Silver Book

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 5 Sep 1996 14:32:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Jack Fulton wrote:

> Yes, I will also throw in that the 'Silver Gelatin' book by Martin Reed
> and Sarah Jones is really a nice thoughtful production.
> The images they gathered are interesting, the interviews helpful and the
> technical material thorough. For such a little practiced aspect of
> photography (probably more than I think) it ought to really make this
> methodology spread like wildfire.

Having seen Ig Mata's ultimate results (remember we were the ones looking
for clues in the spring), I expect it should "spread like wildfire." She
did finally, after much silver emulsion down the drain, many many calls to
the company, and an incredible amount of midnight electricity, get a
handle on coating Liquid Light on glass and plexi (the two take quite
different handling, the first a substrate of gelatine/alum, the second
polyurethane). But virtue triumphed. Not only was the work beautiful,
her two shows in Brazil were triumphs, with TV interviews, newspaper
reviews, the whole bit. She also sold nearly everything, as of last
report...

I daresay if we'd had the book then, much grief could have been avoided.
Jack, you didn't say where you got it. I have friend going to London
next month with instructions to bring me 2 copies.... but others still
need to know...

Judy