Re: ethyl alcohol

David Morrish (dmorrish@beothuk.swgc.mun.ca)
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 23:31:59 -0230 (NDT)

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Jack Fulton wrote:

> <<<snip>>>.... I think that properly, the most common denatured alcohol
> used in photography is called Methyl. So you would be cool if you chose
> either Methyl or Denatured in either your hardware or pharmacy store.
> Jack

Excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong, but I thought not all alcohols are the
same, safety-wise. If ethyl can be ingested "safely" (in moderation, of
course ;-), methyl, on the other hand, is not just toxic when injested,
but I thought it was also DANGEROUS to handle. (Unless, I'm confusing
methyl hydrate with methyl alcohol, or are they the same?)
Any comments from our chemists???

Dave Morrish
Newfoundland, Canada