Re: Hake-type brushes

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 21:27:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Terry King wrote:

> If platinum solutions soak through the hairs to the ' iron' ferule the
> sensitiser becomes contaminated with iron and prints become muddy and grey. With
> gum the dichromate speeds up the rusting of the ferule so you get bits in your
> picture.

My point was that I've never seen this happen, that is, I've never seen
emulsion of any kind go more than a short way up the bristles.

However, I'll add that during the relatively brief period that I platinum
printed I found the standard soft foam "applicator" (the kind with wood
handle) far & away the best method of applying emulsion (tho that was
before "Puddle Pusher). It held enough to coat the paper, but not so much
as to waste emulsion, it could actually be left between coating prints in
a closed drawer (in the dark, that is), no hairs to get in emulsion, it
cost 50 cents & didn't rot for quite a while. I would of course apply a
couple of droppers of distilled water to the dry foam before starting, &
work it in to dampen...

I apply gum emulsion with a foam applicator as well, then whisk smooth
with hake brush -- only the very tips of bristles get emulsion on them.
My theory (as yet unproved, even untested) is that the hairs are held
more tightly in metal ferrule.

> Hair spray Judy ! Forsooth and egad !

Read again, Terry. I said "hair conditioner": St. Ives Swiss formula Aloe
Vera and Vitamin E conditioner, "gently conditions, moisturizes and
protects your hair and scalp, pH balanced."

Work it into bristles, leave for an hour or so, then rinse well.

Judy