Re: Hake-type brushes

Kerik Kouklis (KOUKLIS_KERIK@aphub.aerojetpd.com)
12 Sep 96 09:12:57 PDT

Keith wrote:

> 6. I find the coating rod (or Puddle Pusher) to be excellent for
> coating for prints up to 8x10 on smooth (HP or HOT) paper.
> For larger or longer prints, or for coating rougher (CP or NOT)
> papers a brush is necessary.

I use a glass rod to coat my 7x17 prints. This works very well for
me. I've never printed larger than that, but I don't see why it
wouldn't work for larger prints as well. I have a friend that has
used glass rods for much larger prints. Contrary to Terry's
experience, I find that I use much less sensitizer with a glass rod
than when I used a brush (yes, I pre-wetted the brush, etc, etc...).
When I am done coating, the glass rod is nearly dry and there is no
buildup of residual sensitizer to be "blotted away" along the edges
of the coated area. With many papers, particularly Platine, right
after spreading the sensitizer with the rod, I whisk the surface
lightly with a (Daniel Smith) 4" Hake brush. This helps to smooth
out any minute unevenness of the sensitizer left by the glass rod. I
don't print on rough papers, but I'm sure it would be difficult with
a glass rod. I've also had good success coating the Wyndstone vellum
with the glass rod/Hake brush combination.

> 7. Very thin papers are also easier to coat with a brush.

Agreed!

--Kerik Kouklis

http://members.aol.com/kerik717/