Re: My First (Unsuccessful) Carbon Print

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 01:18:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, J. Wayde Allen 303-497-5871 wrote:
> The recipe I used was:
>
> 1 package of Knox unflavored gelatin (7 g)
> 100 ml water
> 1 Teaspoon sugar
> Ivory Black Gouache (Winsor Newton) a roughly 2 inch line of pigment
> squeezed from the tube.
>
> This was mixed and coated on a piece of heavy callibgraphy paper and an
> overhead projector slide according to instructions given to me by Sandy
> King. The gelatin did not stick to the platic substrate.

Of course not -- polyester needs a special pre-treatment. Try microwax.

> I tried printing with both tissues, and had much better luck with
> the homemade stuff.

It was fresher and the sugar made it dissolve more easily... But the sugar
is bad for long-term archivality. Better to use a small amount of
glycerine to enhance contrast.

Heh! Heh! Did I fool anyone passing myself off as expert on carbon
printing? That was advice of Klaus Pollmeier, reading over my shoulder.
He's in NY for a few days & already, just in the proximity, my knowledge
of carbon printing has leapt exponentially.

Well in fact, Klaus demonstrated the process for my students today --
using Hanfstangel. Those who appeared for the extra-curricular event began
nagging on the spot about when can we make carbon tissue & I daresay when
they show their prints (imperfect as these catch-as-catch can efforts
were) to classmates, demand will escalate. Indeed, the process proved more
seductive than my worst fears -- also easier. No doubt some of the "ease"
was "expert-ise", but still it looks like something ordinary everyday people
could learn to do and the look is very beautiful.

Cheers,

Judy