Re: Revival & Gelobrom & Winchester

Terry King (101522.2625@CompuServe.COM)
13 Sep 96 04:01:48 EDT

Judy asked:

>On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Terry King wrote:
>> I saw some of Mike's gelobroms at Bath yesterday. They were of such
>quality that I at
>> first glance thought that they were platinums.

>What's a gelobrom?

>And what's a winchester? (In US it's a frontier-type rifle.)

!. A gelobrom, as I recall, is a kind of carbro where instead of contacting a
silver gelatine print to the dichromated gelatine which is then inked up, the
original print is used but is inked up before it is bleached. Mike Shorter tells
me he has done quite an amount of work on the process recently; his results show
that the work was worthwhile. I do not know if Mike is on the list and I have
mislaid his address; .
I know that Joyce Peck has it. (Joyce, please let us know). Mike is keen to
spread the word. The process is older than the name.

2. A winchester is a bottle holding about two quarts, it looks like a smaller
version of a demi-john but with no handles. Victorian recipes often gave
winchester as an amount and the punters would complain that they did not know
how much it contained ! As to the rifle, I can't remember if I saw the movie.

Terry