Re: My First (Unsuccessful) Carbon Print

J. Wayde Allen 303-497-5871 (allen@boulder.nist.gov)
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:19:53 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> Would you or Terry mind giving the instruction again?

I can dig up the notes that Sandy King sent me. I basically followed the
procedure he recommended. The formula I used you now have.

> I am guessing the
> purpose of using the projector slide is the make the surface smooth?

Well ... no not really. I had originally thought there might be an
advantage to using a plastic substrate. For instance, the dimensional
stability of the plastic could conceivably make registration for three or
four color carbon more accurate. However, I'm not convinced it is worth
the effort for monochrome work.

> How
> exactly do you do it? Do you lay the slide on the coating and then lift it
> off (after it sets? before it sets?)

You just coat the plastic sheet like you would a piece of card stock.
However, there does need to be an interface layer between the plastic and
the gelatin so the pieces don't separate. Otherwise, the gelatin peels
off of the plastic as it dries. See my previous note to Judy.

> Maybe you could invite him again for a weekend workshop or week-long workshop
> and let us know beforehand. I am sure there must be some who would like to
> attend such a workshop.

I would be interested.

- Wayde
(allen@boulder.nist.gov)