"alternative"

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 10:26:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, j.r.anderson wrote:
> PS the irony of your mentioning Oriental Seagull paper (or even more the
> now virtually unobtainable Oriental Warmtone) is not lost on me, for one...
> > perhaps someone will eventually take up the export licence from Japan again
> for that stuff...
>
> Ooops... that was a silver comment and hence not very alternative ;-)

These "off-topic" comments can be most interesting and instructive for
those of us so focussed on "alternative" processes we lapse in other
areas. For instance I enjoyed Gary's explanation about depth of field
with portrait lenses exactly because I know little about it. So while it's
true that long-winded digressions into other fields could be tiresome and
distracting, moderation (as ever?) in digression could be a good thing.

Which, however, brings us to the issue of what is "alternative"? There's
a mindset or preconception here perhaps: Aside from all the so-called
"alternative" processes done with silver, I'd say factory-made paper is
the "alternative" to hand coating -- we're the real thing..

Judy