Re: "alternative"

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:45:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU wrote:
> One is tempted to say "prints which are not made with
> commercially made printing paper" but what if I used a really old, toner
> that you have to mix yourself (like a uranium or vanadium toner) on a
> silver print made on commercial paper. Does that qualify? Then there are
> digital images. Under the first definition, they would qualify, but
> so much of it is being done today for advertising, etc. one could hardly
> call it alternative.

No categories are absolute, but I think maybe "hand-coated process" would
apply (so to speak.) As for toners, I think they might be called
"manipulated" photography. Digital is digital... And dye transfer? Guess
it's obsolete now, but it was factory photography, no? But you could
easily call it dye transfer & I think we always did.

Judy