Re: Imaging

Beakman (beakman@netcom.com)
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 10:54:28 -0700 (PDT)

Judy replies:

> On Sun, 22 Sep 1996, Beakman wrote:
> >if you amortize the cost of the necessary darkroom equipment (8x10
> enlarger,
> > etc.), and figure in the monthly cost of the space -- my apartment costs
> > me about $1.20 per square foot, and that's not really expensive for this
> > area. You might find that the hidden costs make things a little closer.
>
> An 8x10 enlarger? What are you putting in the 8x10 enlarger? I gather
> then that you go out with an 8x10 view camera and have a 16x20 linotronic
> negative made from the 8x10 negative -- which might (or might not) pay off
> for platinum (if that kind of sharp/fine is your esthetic) but not
> necessarily in other "alt" media. I myself begin with a 35 mm negative, as
> for the most part do my students, at least at this point in their careers.

Yeah, I shoot with an 8x10 camera. Suffice to say that I like detail. :)

> Gosh David, if you can live without a darkroom, what more can I say?
> Well, just that some of us would have to rent more space to add one more
> piece of *digital* equipment! I mean, mine has gobbled up what used to be
> a dining area, and though I think sometimes it would be nice to have a
> scanner, et al., don't know where I'd put it!

Ah but you see, you have most of the computer equipment, which you already
use for other purposes, so using it for your photography will just allow
you to get more use from the equipment which has coaxed precious living
space from you.

And, now that I know you use 35mm, I realize that your life can be simpler
than mine. Polaroid makes the Sprintscan 35 which is the size of a couple
of dictionaries stacked on top of one another, yet will scan at 2700 dpi.
Cost, about $1500.

Anyway, I agree. I think we have fairly winded this discussion. So, as
Artie, The Strongest Man In The World (from the Adventures of Pete & Pete
television show) would say, "Onward my Little Viking!".

Best regards,

David