Re: Presentation of alt. prints

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 23:39:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, David Morrish wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Kevin Won wrote:
>
> > I recently moved, and, while hanging my Pd. prints thought what a shame it is
> > that the glass creates a reflection, where one of the greatest qualities of
> > Pd/Pt prints (and for that matter, most all of the alt. processes) is their
> > unique tactile quaility. Sure, glass creates a certain museum mystique--a

> I seem to remember a product on the market called Denglas. This was
> supposed to be invisible with little or no glare or reflections, making
> the viewing of artwork under glass seem unobstructed by glass. I seem to
> remember that it was a coated glass, not unlike modern eyeglasses, and
> was therefore very expensive. I do not know if it is still available or

OK I suppose I'm going to get groans for saying "see the archive," but we
discussed this *extensively* 2 years ago, and I've got dispatches
to write stacked up like airplanes over Kennedy Airport, so I make
this brief:

M&M Distributors in NJ, 1/800-526-2302 sells 3 kinds (at least) of glass
locally, will name other distributors nationally.

Something called Vision 2000 claims always true color, 18 pieces 16x20
were $158, but a sample turned out to look hazy, it's called "micro etch"
for "reduced reflection.

Denglass, supposedly has a bluish hue, but I found it much much better
than regular picture frame glass, by the box, 40 sheets 11x14 $291. This
is the one I bought. The life of the print comes through, not perfectly,
but quite well.

Another glass called Crystal Vue is frankly "anti-reflective" and would
therefore give more distortion. (Actually I didn't see it, but in my
experience "anti-reflective glass" means it destroys your artwork.)

> Maybe a fram with a hinged front which opens for viewing? ;-)
>
> Dave Morrish

David, that is an absolutely brilliant concept --- do it!

Judy