Re: sizing paper

David Morrish (dmorrish@beothuk.swgc.mun.ca)
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 17:36:02 -0230 (NDT)

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, rdalrymple wrote:

> > On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, rdalrymple wrote:
> > > Afraid to be too rough with the paper while wet, I am thinking now I am
> > > not squeezing enough of the gelatin out of the paper before drying,
> > > leaving too much gelatin in the paper and it is pooling.
> >
> I can't imagine (as clumsy as I am) how I would squeeze the paper
> through two glass rods. Is there a mechanism that is made for this
> purpose?
>
> Marilyn

The method which has worked for me is definately clumsy but effective. It
requires two people as well. I use elastic bands to hold the glass rods
together at each end with even and light pressure. With one
person holding each end of the rods and "operating" them, the other pulls
the paper upward through the rods to "squeegee" the paper. The "operator"
prys the rods open for the leading edge of the paper, then, once the
"puller" has a good grip on this narrow leading edge, the elastic tension
is returned and the "operator" ONLY holds the rods down on the tray's lip,
not together to add tension. The elastics are the only tension. The
"puller" then pulls the paper through upwards and the gelatin drips back
down into the tray. There is no damage to the paper (other than the
leading edge sometimes being torn or creased) and there seems to be an
even distribution of gelatine. The gelatine is also kept warm by floating
a tray in another tray of warm water. An instructor of mine once
concocted an assembly with wire brackets to hold the rods in place so one
could do this alone, but I cannot remember how it worked nor what it
looked like....
I like the sound of someone's suggestion of brushing it on while
warm, but have never tried this myself.

Dave Morrish
Newfoundland, Canada