Re: call to UV printers: was Fluorescent bulbs

Gordon Smith (gsmith@dancris.com)
Tue, 01 Oct 1996 20:25:13 -0700

Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Gordon Smith wrote:
> > It ain't pretty, but here's what I did for platinum and palladium. I
> > went down to Home Depot and bought a cheap, premade kitchen cabinet that
> > was 16(deep)x24x24 ($20) and a big outdoor mercury vapor lamp (175
>
> Gordon, that is so cool!. But let me doublecheck: The kitchen cabinet
> that's 16 inch deep must be a top cabinet (which could be hard to
get
> deeper than 12" around here).

Yes. Any type of enclosure will work. I was looking at an air
conditioning plunem that was 28x28x28 and made of sheet metal but it was
twice the price. Not knowing if this would even work, I didn't want to
piddle away my last penny. I bought the cabinet because it was CHEAP.
(and so am I).

It's 24inch high -- and your hole for the
> light is in the back, not the top

I put the buld in the back so it emits light perpendicular to the plane
of the negative. I had it in the top but my exposure times were running
30 minutes plus!

--so how high up did you put it?