Re: sumi/carbon tissue

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Sun, 6 Oct 1996 09:43:41 -0400

Judy wrote:

>Does anyone know about different concentrations, or types of sumi?
>Meanwhile, I suggested she try Rowney gouache jet black, but any other
>suggestions would be gratefully received, & passed along...

Judy,

I have made carbon tissue with Sumi Ink and it worked great for both carbon
and carbro printing. Sumi Ink comes in both liquid form, and as a
concentrate. Both disperse very well in a warm gelatine solution. The
particular brand that I used needed about 25g of liquid Sumi Ink per 1000ml
of coating solution for a medium contrast tissue (18g for lower contrast,
35g for higher contrast). Without more details it is impossible to know
exactly what caused the problem your student experienced. Perhaps she
simply used too little of the ink for a strong tissue.

Sandy King