Re: call to UV printers: was Fluorescent bulbs

Beakman (beakman@netcom.com)
Sun, 6 Oct 1996 06:58:00 -0700 (PDT)

John writes:

> On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Beakman wrote:
>

> > For what it's worth, I bought my nuArc 26-1K mercury vapor platemaker used
> > for $450. This includes the exposure unit, integrating timer and a
> > vaccuum bed. I've since seen them for slightly less. It too, can handle
> > up to 20x24 inch prints.
> >
> > David
> >
> Your light unit functions as a point source, doesn't it? This is
> probably an important difference as I make masks using layers of
> translucent paper cut into different shapes to sort of "dodge and burn"
> when I print, and this works because my source is very diffuse. I don't
> think this method would work with the nuArc, do you? Have you tried it?
>
> John

Yes, it could be considered something of a point source however, the bulb
has a large 18"x18" reflector around it, and the bulb is 16" away from
the paper when you print. So, what does that add up to? I really don't
know, as I am now going the digital route to do my dodging and burning,
and in the past I just printed straight. Sorry, I couldn't give a more
definative answer.

David