Re: Blues to die for

Graeme Evans (Graeme.Evans@jcu.edu.au)
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 08:26:39 +1000

> From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <alt-photo-process@cse.unsw.edu.au>
> Date: Sun, 6 Oct 96 14:13:37 +1000
> Subject: Re: Blues to die for

> On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Judy Seigel wrote:
> > someone posted a formula to the list of a post-development sodium chloride
> > bath (10%?) that, he said, made the blues brighter. I had made a note to
> > try it, but hadn't. Sounds like this could be the same effect, but pre-
> > instead of post ... if true.
> >

> I found the formula, but I had remembered it wrong... it was for
> "brilliant blue" on blue-toned silver prints: 25g salt in 1 litre wash
> water. I'm dubious about it, since blue-toned silver prints are brilliant
> blue to begin with, but I guess it's worth trying....

> Judy

What the NaCl wash does with blue toned prints, is remove the yellow
from the whites quickly so there is little chance of the blue
bleeding into the whites during washing after toning.
Graeme Evans
Lecturer in Photography
Dept of Art & Design
James Cook University
Townsville Qld 4811 Phone 077-813147 International +61-77-813147
AUSTRALIA Fax 077-813169 International +61-77-813169

Email: mailto:argje@jcu.edu.au