Re: Blues to die for

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 22:09:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, j.r.anderson wrote:
> >What the NaCl wash does with blue toned prints, is remove the yellow
> From the whites quickly so there is little chance of the blue
> >bleeding into the whites during washing after toning.
> >Graeme Evans

Uh oh.... pretty sure I've never seen yellow in the whites, or blue
bleeding into whites in blue-toned silver prints. Tho maybe I didn't know
to look for it... I have seen paper base take on a yellow-greenish hue
(is that what you mean?) which disappeared instantly in acid fix -- or, if
memory serves, in just plain stop bath.

> Thanks for this information, which is most interesting! But this does not
> really explain why it would DEEPEN the blues in a cyanotype, which is my
> impression. Any suggestions from ferric experts???

I think what was supposed to DEEPEN blues in *cyanotype* wasn't na cl but
H2O2 and/or HCl. The "explanation" is that people saw it (and it is quite
dramatic) and leapt to conclusion it meant *more* blue, which it doesn't.

However it does, like Bob says, even when you know it's "fake," elicit an
"oooooh" (from me, too). Only problem is that freshly oxidized wet blue is
more gorgeous (a deep royal blue) than the print will be when dry, hence
final print may be an anticlimax... (We've speculated about showing
cyanotypes under water.)

> I will also compare it
> with the ammonium dichromate blues... This is going to end up as three
> month's work!

What "ammonium dichromate blues"? (If you hum the tune, I think the words
will come to me.)

Meanwhile, if you finish in 3 months, congratulations....

Judy