Re: Tungsten light for Alt. Darkroom

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 23:34:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> In all articles/books that I have read, it was mentioned that the dichromate
> sensitized materials should be handled under tungsten light. Do I need to get
> a special tungsten light to work as my darkroom light? Will regular
> inandenscent bulbs work?

Dave, don't believe anything you read in books & articles. You can get
*out* of that darkroom and *into* the real world.

But first, since girls aren't expected to know anything about electricity
(I don't even like the toaster when it's unplugged for fear there's
electricity left in it), I feel quite free to ask: "Regular incandescent"?
Isn't all incandescent tungsten?

Meanwhile, I take the opportunity to add that I have found fluorescent
light on ceiling as well as or in combination with ordinary room daylight
from the windows not a problem with most "non-silver" emulsions. We coat
by normal room light, whatever it is, and dry in dark. In fact, as I
believe I mentioned recently, even drying the paper out on the table in
low roomlight doesn't make that much difference.

Perhaps platinum is more sensitive to fluorescent, however. I remember at
Photoexpo several years ago Sura Steinberg said the ceiling fluorescents
at Jacob Javits convention center had fogged the Palladio prints she was
demonstrating. (I couldn't detect the fog, but then all platinum prints
look alike to me -- heh heh!)

Judy