(Fwd) Dichromate in Developer for Palladium

Keith Schreiber (KEITH@CCP.Arizona.EDU)
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 10:40:57 -0700 (MST)

Last February, Mike Ware sent the following message regarding the use
of Na dichromate in K oxalate for pt/pd printing. It might be
relevant to the current discussion.

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 22:20:39 +1100
From: Mike Ware <mike@mikeware.demon.co.uk>
To: Multiple recipients of list <alt-photo-process@vast.unsw.edu.au>
Subject: Dichromate in Developer for Palladium (was Re: paper test data for palladium)

I'm interested - and not a little surprised - to learn of the use of an
oxalate developer for platinum/palladium which contains dichromate to
'control' contrast.

The reaction between these two ions is well-known to inorganic chemistry,
and is indeed one of the standard methods for preparing a whole range of
oxalato- complexes of Chromium(III). Admittedly the lab preps entail
heating, but this is just to speed up the process. I doubt that any
solution containing the two will remain unaltered for very long, even at
room temperature.

Keith has just described one consequence:

>KOx does not become
>exhausted. I don't know about the dichromate. I have found some green
>needle-like crystals in one of the bottles.

This is, very probably, potassium tris-oxalatochromate(III): K3Cr(C2O4)3.3H2O

The other consequence is that when the Cr(VI) of dichromate is thus reduced
to Cr(III) it will cease to have a 'contrast enhancing' effect.

Mike