Re: Carolina Card / Chlorohydroquinone

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:47:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Alex Nanson wrote:
> I have been given a large
> quantity of something called Carolina Card. It is a 200 gms/sq metre
> white card, clay coated and calendered on both sides to give semi matt
> surfaces. I believe that it is a printing stock material.
>
> I intend to try it as a substrate for cyanotype, gum bichromate, carbon
> printing etc. Has anyone any experience of such a material, and would it
> be suitable for the above processes?

Alex, Standard commercial printing papers don't get soaked in the process,
and even if dampened are *coated* with an oily ink (in fact that may be
why coated -- so the ink doesn't soak in). My hunch would be that
a coated paper wouldn't be good for gum because clay would wash off during
soak. I wouldn't be surprised if it did likewise with other process, and I
wonder (tho maybe someone else can say for sure) if clay coated paper is
archival anyway .... Sounds like the price is right, tho -- why not try
something easy, like cyanotype.... Or even just soak the paper for a while
& see what happens.

Judy