Re: to make enlarged negatives

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Wed, 16 Oct 96 07:41 BST-1

<< >unattractive fibrous look. I have tried a couple of laser prints on
>*acetate* from different machines and found density far too thin even for

>In my experience, a laser printer does not provide the necessary density for
>photo negs, nor the necessary quality, either. >>

Sil,

I think when discussing alt-processes we are not necessarily thinking in
quality in normal photographic terms - some people my prefer the look given by
what others regard as inadequate quality. Technical perfection is not always
the aim.

Students here have got interesting results from laser printouts over a range
of processes - including salt printing and silkscreen. One small trick that
helps on the density issue is to print onto paper and photocopy onto acetate,
The copies we get are blacker and do not lose much detail. Two photocopies can
be taped together in register to build up more density if required.

If we want 'photographic quality' we generally use more standard photographic
materials here - but for many purposes this is neither necessary or
appropriate.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows, Dragonfire and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s/
Family Pictures & Gay Pride: http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/
and: http://www.speltlib.demon.co.uk/