RE: cyanotype question

Bas van Velzen (eland@knoware.nl)
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:54:33 +0100

>On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Bas van Velzen wrote:
>> What we ought to call rice paper is the paperlike sheet cut from the pith
>> of the Tetrapanax Papyferum tree. A palm like tree that grows on Formosa
>> (Taiwan) and the China mainland. This is technically not paper since it
>> consists of plant cells and not fibers, and has nothing to with rice as it
>> happens.
>
>Bas, off the top of your head, which of the various types you mention in
>your (informative, thank you) post would you start with if you had
>uncontrollable urge to try cyanotype on one such? Students often ask
>about "rice paper," I can say only in my experience it's harder & less
>attractive than a brown paper bag (which is great to print on BTW) but I
>know that's not what they're looking for.

Judy,

there was a fair in Amsterdam: "restoration 96". As you can imagine it took
a lot of my time (I am in the board of VeRes, see below, and we had a stand
to attend, also I play bass guitar and the gigs go on with all the rest...)

If you send a fax to Paper Nao they will send you a swath(??) of paper
samples they trade. This is the best paper Japan makes in terms of
authenticity, fiber quality and make. A bit on the expensive side but
sooooo beautiful! There are actually three types of paper fiber used in
Japan, if you like I could send you the article I mentioned in my posting.
For cyanotype the best type would be (I think) the gampi papers, they look
shiny and have a nice rattle to them. Since the fibers making the papers
are much longer in japanese paper the weight can be much lower than
"western" papers and still be of the same strength. The wet-strenght is
most of the times lower than western paper. So carefull handling is
demanded. Most japanese paper is about 95 x 63 cm, some types are also sold
as (machine made) rolls. The address of Paper Nao is:

Paper Nao
1-29-12-201 Sengoku Bunkyo-ku
Tokyo 112 Japan
t 81-3-3944-4470
f 81-3-3944-4699

to order: fax your order, wait for the bill (fax) pay bill, and they will
send it to you airmail if you want (only 3-4 days). Have fun.

Bas

Jonge Eland papierrestauratie
eland@knoware.nl
t +31 20 623 79 89
f +31 20 627 32 23

VeRes***NEW ADDRESS***VeRes***NEW ADDRESS***VeRes***NEW ADDRESS***VeRes

VeRes (Dutch Association of Professional Restorers)
Prins Hendriklaan 12
1075 BB Amsterdam
t+f: +31 20 670 33 28

VeRes***NEW ADDRESS***VeRes***NEW ADDRESS***VeRes***NEW ADDRESS***VeRes

PAPER IS ART IS PAPER IS ART IS PAPER IS ART IS PAPER IS ART IS PAPER