Re: Technique vs. Creativity

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 00:47:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996 HankinsBM@student.montevallo.edu wrote:
> The idea of the work and the message that it conveys is
> more important than a technically perfect print. I'd much rather
> look at a photograph that has a strong idea or concept behind it
> rather than a print that is technically good but has no meaning or
> impact. This still doesn't mean that artists should totally
> disregard technical aspects, but they should not let it get in the
> way of their work...

Brian, I'd take that a step further, remembering the story I heard
Beaumont Newhall tell about his days at MoMA, when somebody, Ansel Adams I
suppose, volunteered to make a really *good* print of a quite crude
photograph they had from (I think it was) Moholy Nagy, so he did (they had
the original negative in the archive), and it was a "good print" and
everyone agreed it was not a good photograph. None of the snap and drama
of the vintage "bad" print. Which is to say, the worship and litany of
"correct technique" is a crutch and rut -- a convention, not holy writ.

Judy