Re: dry pigment for carbon tissue

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 01:28:34 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks again for info again. Glad to be just the channel -- let Carmen
make the decisions. (Wish I had this kind of authoritative advice about
the leaky roof!)

One more question (right now): Some sources say to harden the tissue in
alum, but not which alum... Guess I could look it up, maybe I will, as
soon as I wake up. But I wonder if anyone has tried glyoxal for the
tissue???? I'm assuming it works as well as formaldehyde, but just
checking...

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Albert Strauss wrote:

> Better idea is to use gouache. Large tube of Rowney is $2.89 at Pearl Paint
> and will make at least 15 8x10s, very deep black. Very little work. Just
> disolve in water and then mix in heated gelatin/sugar/water mix. Voila.

That's very good news, Al -- the Daniel Smith price for large tube (15
ml) is $6, as I recall, a significant difference when you use so much of
it, especially for impecunious student. Sumi apparently within reach
too....

Judy