Re: Making Ferric Oxalate

Eric J. Neilsen (ejnasn@laplaza.org)
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 11:25:33 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Terry King wrote:

> Chemical Old Timers
>
> I know that I am benighted but I still use ferric oxalate although aware of
> the alternatives.
>
> I have made up a number of batches using the peroxide method in Dick Stevens'
> book. Now I no longer seem to be able to get 30 % ( is that 30 vol ? ) peroxide
> and adding 28.5 or 20 to the ferrous oxalate plus oxalic acid mixture produces
> lots of heat and gas and bubbles ( bit of deja vu there) it produces no ferric
> oxalate solution. The only other difference in method was to use an 'inert'
> plastic stirrer rather than a glass rod. Is it the rod or the peroxide causing
> the problem ?
>
> Terry King

Terry, I've used the Dick Stevens formula #2 as well. I've gotten the
30% peroxide though Artcraft Chemicals. (800) 682-1730. 500ml about $40
I doubt that the plastic vs. glass did anything. Heat and bubbles are to
be expected. Be careful.
What did you get? Green liquid? How are you determining % of ferric?
weight or specific gravity by way of hydrometer?

EJ Neilsen
ejnasn@laplaza.org