Re: developer for big grain

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 13:20:29 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996 DKenn473@aol.com wrote:

> <<
> The only developing agent that will last even an hour without an inhibitor
> like sulfite is Amidol, and that's not particularly good for films nor for
> big grain. If you want to minimize the edge effect provided by normal
> developers that are loaded with sulfite, make up something like a D72 with,
> say, 1% of the sulfite and use it once (you will find it is almost black at
> the finish of development due to oxidation of the developing agent in the
> absence of sulfite).
> >>
> Rodinal uses potassium silfite not sodium sulifte and is almost black at the
> end of developement really more purple black. Anyway the potassium sulfite
> does not seem to eat away the grain as does sodium sulfite.
> David Michael Kennedy

Once the rodinol is diluted to its normal working strength (as much as
1:100), there is such a small percentage of sulfite left it couldn't have
much solvent action. I used to dilute my rodinol in 5% sodium sulfite
(aq) instead of plain water to make a wonderfully fine grained
compensating developer.

John