Re: 2 shows in NYC

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 20:20:45 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, rdalrymple wrote:

> After searching all the archives for "encaustic" and "Wax" I am unable
> to find more information on this process and am curious about it. Is
> there a possiblility of more explanation on how these prints are covered
> with wax and the purpose of doing so, please?

Marilyn, Encaustic is a painter's technique, with many possible variations
but essentially wax is heated on a metal plate then smeared onto support
(usually a panel of some kind) with a broad flat knife. Usually pigment is
included in wax or encaustic paintings. In recent instances, including
this one, just the wax (beeswax if memory serves) was melted & applied au
naturel. The function is to be arty, that is, the outlines of the
photographs are softened, giving a hazy, slightly luminous, soft-focus
effect.

There are probably contemporary books on encaustic in art stores or art
materials departments of places like Barnes & Noble. Also some chapters in
older artists' reference works like Mayer.

Judy