Re: Tube separation

sal (sal@www.napc.com)
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 09:58:07 -0500

j.r.anderson wrote:

> I would be interested to hear how critical people have found the separation
> between UV tubes to be. Is there a maximmum separation beyond which one
> cannot go as it leads to uneven printing? Is there a formula for relating
> this separation to distance of the print from the UV tubes? In other words,
> if your tube separation is "X", what would be the minimum (or maximum????)
> distance "Y" between print and bulbs to avoid uneven printing? Does the
> bulb diameter (let's call it "Z" to make this e-mail as unfreindly as
> possible!) affect this at all?
>
> I await some interesting replies from master printers and physicists.... :-)
>
> Jonathan Anderson
>
> PS I don't recall this being in the archive, but if it is, sorrry ;-)

There is definitely a correlation between tube diameter, spacing and
distance from printing area. I have used two different sizes of bulbs
for uv light boxes; an 18" by 1"(diameter) and a 24" by 1.5"(diameter)
bulb. For the 1" bulb I place them 1.5 inches apart and 1.5 inches
from the printing frame. The 1.5" bulbs are placed 2" apart and 2"
from the printing area. PLEASE NOTE: THESE MEASUREMENTS ARE FROM THE
CENTER OF THE BULBS.

Sal Mancini
PALLADIO CO, INC.